Haldi or Turmeric
The Scientific name of Turmeric is Curcuma longa. It belongs to Zingiberaceae family. It is native to tropical Indian Subcontinent. It contains an active ingredient called curcumin, which is responsible for yellow color in haldi. It tastes slightly bitter, slightly hot peppery flavor and a mustardy smell. This ingredient in haldi helps to treat diseases like cancer, alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, allergies, arthritis and other chronic illnesses. India and Pakistan are the significant producers of huldi (turmeric). It has been used in India for thousands of years and is a major part of Ayurvedic medicine. It was first used as a dye and then later for its medicinal properties.
Haldi and Cancer
Haldi is the king of spices when it comes to dealing with diseases like Cancer. It contains the powerful polyphenol curcumin that helps to obstruct the growth of cancer cells causing prostrate cancer, melanoma, breast cancer, brain tumour, pancreatic cancer and leukemia amongst a host of others. In case of radiotherapy and chemotherapy, the surrounding cells too become a target in addition to the cancer cells. So it may cause side-effects. But Haldi safely eliminates cancer breeding cells without causing any threat to the development of other healthy cells. It is also helpful to kill the cancer causing cells. Eating a pinch of haldi every day will also prevent cancer.
Recently scientific research confirmed that Haldi (turmeric) can cure diseases, also they found that turmeric restrain the growth of various types of cancer. Haldi is used for the treatment of skin cancer or pre cancerous skin conditions. Both topical and internal uses are beneficial. A number of laboratory studies on cancer cells have shown that curcumin has anticancer effects. It seems to be able to kill cancer cells and mostly prevents from growing. In 2007 American study that combined curcumin with chemotherapy to treat bowel cancer cells in a laboratory, showed that the combined treatment killed more cancer cells than the chemotherapy alone.
1. Haldi (Turmeric) is a natural liver detoxifier and painkiller.
2. Some kind of inflammatory skin conditions like psoriasis can be treated using Haldi.
3. Haldi helps to cure digestive disorders.
4. The antibiotic properties of Huldi, helps to cure bacterial infections and wounds.
5. Curcumin present in haldi is very much useful in curing eye disorders.
6. Haldi aids in curing the problems related to stomach and intestines.
7. Take 1 teaspoon of haldi juice mixed with honey, helps to cure anemia.
8. Boil 1 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon of haldi power and drink warm, is good benefit for asthma.
9. To get rid of dental problems, mix 1 teaspoon of haldi with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add mustard oil to make a paste. Rub the teeth and gums with this paste twice a day.
10. To get relief from diabetes, take 1 teaspoon of haldi (turmeric) 3 times a day.
How to use Turmeric
1. Mix some haldi powder in a glass of warm milk and have it at night. It will help to get rid of cold.
2. It is one of the principle ingredients of curry powder.
3. Turmeric can be used as a substitute for saffron (kesar).
4. You can sprinkle small pinch of haldi power over the food that is cooked.
5. Substitute 1 teaspoon dry mustard for 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
Haldi is very good for health if it taken in limit regularly. According to some reports, when it is taken more in quantity, it may cause stomach pain and also skin problems. It should not be used, when people are under medication related to blood thinning and immune system. Applying haldi (turmeric) to the skin for long periods of time can cause yellow stains that may be difficult to remove.