The English name of Dalchini is Cinnamon, which came through a Greek word. This herb is native to South East Asia and belongs to the Lauraceae family. It was so highly prized among ancient nations that it was regarded as a gift of God. The flavour of dalchini is due to an aromatic essential oil that makes up 0.5% to 1% of its composition. Essentail oil can be prepared out of dalchini, by roughly pounding the bark, mash it in sea water and then quickly filtering the whole. This will be in golden-yellow colour. Its bark is widely used as a spice. It is also useful in the preparation of chocolate in Mexico.
1. Dalchini helps to maintain blood sugar levels in the body, especially in the case diabetes.
2. Dalchini will reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, by lowering harmful cholesterol in the body.
3. To get rid of menstrual pains, Dalchini is very effective herb.
4. When Dalchini paste is applied on forehead, it is helpful to reduce headache and migraine.
5. To remove acne and black heads Dalchini is very much useful.
6. Eat Dalchini for few days will help to get rid of toothache.
7. Dalchini also helpful in treating cough, cold and even sore throat.
8. To lighten ones skin complextion, Dalchini is the best herb.
9. Dalchini controls hair fall and even gives bright look.
10. Dalchini helps to reduce and maintain constant weight.
11. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of Dalchini cures most urinary tract infections.
12. Dalchini helps to reduce the inflammation caused due to indigestion and ulcers. It also aids in digestion.
Dalchini and Cancer
Dalchini has several medicinal properties which even can cure the chronical diseases like cancer. In a study done by the USDA (United States Agricultural Department), it was found that cinnamon extract was a potent weapon against leukaemia and lymphomas. The study found that the extract of this herb blocks the path of certain components that are important for the regeneration of the cell, inhabited the further multiplication of cancerous cells and slowly reduced their spread. It also found that the higher the amount of extract, the better the results. It also suppresses the stress responsive cancer cells in the body.
Cinnamon or Dalchini is widely used in traditional medicine and several studies have tested chemicals extracted from this herb helps for various possible medicinal effects. In an experiment testing the effects of various plants, it is known that extract of dalchini effects HIV-1. In another research, it is found that “eugenol” a chemical found in cinnamon essential oils. From these two researches it came to know that this herb is very useful in controlling type 2 diabetics to control blood glucose levels.
Even though Dalchini is good for diabetes, if it is not taken in properly it can also be toxic. It may work well to help some people with urinary infections and on the other hand it also may shut down the kidney functions in some cases for people who already have kidney problems. If some one is suffering from blood thinner problem, it might be dangerous for them to take cinnamon as a regime.